We encourage all children to have excellent attendance at The Oaks.
Regular school attendance brings enormous benefits to individual pupils, their families, schools and the community as a whole. Without regular attendance, levels of attainment suffer and opportunities are missed to obtain maximum benefit from education. Comprehensive research shows that there is a direct link between a child’s level of school attendance and their level of school attainment.
Did you know?
• As parents you are legally responsible for ensuring your child receives a suitable full time education.
• Only the school can authorise an absence – not the parent. Only in exceptional circumstances will a request for absence from school be authorised.
• Research shows that crime and truancy are linked.
• There are only 190 days in the school year, which means there are 175 non-school days left for holidays, treats and shopping.
• Taking holidays and other unnecessary absences in term time means your child is missing out on their education. Half a day off each week, adds up to more than a whole school year by the age of 16.
• Health professionals would expect most children to have no more than 6 days off due to sickness per school year.
What you can do to help your child?
• Make sure your child comes to school regularly and punctually.
• Please support The Oaks in our efforts to encourage punctuality, good attendance and behaviour.
• Take an interest in your child’s school work
• If your child if off school, it is very important you phone on the first morning of absence to tell us why. Staff will be concerned if they do not hear from you. On your child’s return to school, please provide a note showing the inclusive dates of absence and the reason for absence.
• If your child starts missing school, work with the school without delay to put things right. Communication is very important.